The Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless ( priced at $ 299) costs significantly more than Apple’s AirPod or the Samsung Galaxy Buds, and they are fully trimmed to the best possible sound. Is this expensive purchase worthwhile? Here are our experiences with the Momentum True Wireless.
Popular with studio pros, the iconic Sennheiser simply can not afford to throw a mediocre-sounding product on the market – the expectations in the scene are very high. The German company has therefore taken some time to submit its contribution to the trend “completely wireless Bluetooth in-ear headphones”.
Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless: Our test verdict
The conclusion first: These are the best sounding headphones in true wireless design, which have come to us so far. But to get to this realization, a moment of shock had to be overcome …
A few weeks ago: When unpacking the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless, I was quite pleased because the textile-coated case looks classy, and the processing quality of Earbuds is immediately convincing. Very high quality and the very high appropriate. After I set them up, I use them and run as always first “Take Five” by Dave Brubeck. But what is going on there? That sounds thin, tinny because it lacks root and bass. Even the equalizer brings no rescue – has Sennheiser here about a crash landing on previously unknown terrain?
Luckily not! So here’s the solution: You do not just have to put the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless (with the right ear pieces) in your ears, but then turn it in a little, like a corkscrew – but very gently and especially with millimeter precision. Only when they are placed deep and tight auditory canal, then they can also develop their sound performance.
The next few days were a treat: Hans Zimmer, Jeff Mills, Metallica, İbrahim Erkal, Sade, Migos, Fleetwood Mac and Ellen Allien put the handle on the stage in my head. The Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless is not upset, they dominate every genre with crystal clear playback, precise spatial imaging, and rich tones. They are sonically so confident that the Sennheiser smartphone app “Smart Control” allows the sound to “emulate” virtually any lower-priced earbud model – depending on how you move the freely-moving slider of the graphic equalizer.
Since you could almost forget that the Momentum True Wireless clunky and not very persistent. The touch operation does not respond perfectly and sometimes the sensors do not recognize that the earbuds have been removed from the ears and put back into the case – they simply remain connected to the smartphone. With such basic everyday tasks.
To the final classification: There are roughly two types of headphones. Some of them are ideal for “listening by the side” and are a solid companion in everyday life (office, train) – this includes Apple’s AirPod or the Bose QuietComfort 35 II. And then there are headphones for which you put your smartphone (or book) aside and close your eyes while focusing on the sounds of a good recording – including the Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Pro, the in-house … and the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless.
This is not a mobile lifestyle gadget but an audiophile tool for music lovers. The target group can certainly live with the fact that these earbuds are not part of the category “worry-free”. Here you get a lot of sound for a lot of money in the first place – or similar to the term “high-end” is now defined and now richer by one more entry.
Good to know
- The Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless is charged via USB Type-C.
- External noise is transmitted through the transparent hearing function. This is particularly useful because the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless seal relatively strong and that involves dangers, such as in traffic.
- Telephoning works, the sound quality is okay.
Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless - Review
These are the best sounding headphones in true wireless design, which have come to us so far. But to get to this realization, a moment of shock had to be overcome ...
- Superb Sound: With every additional hour of listening to music, Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless will show you where they come from. Where others inflate the bass or manipulate the middle and high pitch to score in certain musical genres, the Sennheiser earbuds adhere to the principle of honesty. A feast for the senses - at least, if it wants the recording so synonymous.
- The smartphone app "Smart Control" offers sound settings, advanced configuration (eg Smart Pause) and firmware updates.
- To use it correctly: The Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless are extremely demanding in terms of the right fit. The slightest readjustment of the position with the finger can have massive effects. The reward is ideally a fantastic sound, but right next door lurks a tinny-sounding disaster. Here you should invest a little time until you get the hang of it.
- Limited wearing comfort: The Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless are comparatively large and can put a certain pressure on the ears. Rather suitable for 1-2 hours, as for constant wear in everyday life.
- Smart Pause is buggy: If you take off one of the earphones, the music pauses. But alas, if you take them out of your ears at the same time, then the music keeps going, even if you put the earphones into the case. Hopefully this will be fixed by firmware update.
- Equalizer a bit strange: Although it allows varied and effective sound adjustments, it must be mentioned that the equalizer of the smartphone app is not intuitive to use. The best way to position the freely placeable controller and its effects requires a certain training time.
Hardware, Design & Functions