The Amazon Echo Plus is currently the top version among echo audio devices. The smart speaker with voice assistant does not just shine when it comes to controlling smart devices. No, he is superior to the standard model in many other ways. Our test of the new Amazon Echo Plus (2nd generation, 2018):
With every Alexa speaker, you can control smart devices in your network. What is special about Echo Plus? Many small smart products need a hub to connect to the network. Example: The Philips Hue lights have a so-called “bridge” which is connected to the router. This bridge receives the signals from the smartphone and voice assistant and turns the lights on and off
The Echo Plus has a built-in Zigbee hub. Compatible smart home devices can thus be controlled directly via the loudspeaker without the need for an additional device. In addition, the device is very simple.
But not only the smart hub distinguishes the Echo Plus:
Amazon Echo Plus in the test: Our conclusion
The Amazon Echo Plus proved in the test that he wants to score not only thanks to the smart hub compared to the normal echo: listening to music is now much more fun. The sound – although still not on the level of Sonos and Apple – is now sparkling, with stronger bass.
More than just a sweet, the audio input and output and the built-in thermometer, which can serve as a trigger for smart actions.
Compared to its predecessor speaks especially the new, chic design for the Echo Plus 2018th What has unfortunately changed nothing: Voice Assistant Alexa acts on the user too often stupid.
You should also know that
- The Echo Plus is available in anthracite fabric, light gray fabric, and sandstone fabric.
- Even the small dot Amazon has vigorously revised – see Amazon Echo Dot (3rd generation, 2018) in the test.
- Power Consumption: In standby mode, our power consumption is 2.2 watts. Each year, you waste 18.5-kilowatt-hours.
Amazon Echo Plus (2018) - Review
The Amazon Echo Plus is currently the top version among echo audio devices. The smart speaker with voice assistant does not just shine when it comes to controlling smart devices. No, he is superior to the standard model in many other ways
- The sound has Amazon optimized, in favor of the treble and the bass. The bass goes lower than before and is a bit stronger. For many pieces of music, this vote is more fun than the 2nd Generation Echo or its predecessor. For our exact sound comparison see:
- The jack slot is now an audio input and audio output. Thus, one can connect the echo on the one hand to the stereo, on the other hand, you can play over the cassette in the old Walkman - or connect the electric piano.
- Voice Assistant Alexa is constantly evolving, gets new, sometimes quite sophisticated functions. For example, for some requests, Alexa automatically resorts to a skill, even if it is not installed, but it will be necessary for the answer.
- The recognition of the keyword "Alexa" works very well in quiet environments and even when you are around the nearest corner of the room from the speaker.
- The built-in thermometer serves not only that Alexa can call the room temperature. You can also use it to create routines that, for example, the fan is switched on at 30 degrees or more.
- The sound of the mids is a bit on the track.
- Too often Alexa lets his users down. Answers are inaccurate or lead just past the demanded. Commands are not implemented because they do not correspond one to one to the "textbook". Example: "Alexa, turn off all the lights." "I'm sorry, I can not find any lamp with the name all." Even asking about the temperature of the built-in thermometer often failed us. From a "smart speaker" you want more brains.
- Small restriction compared to the Echo 2nd Generation: You can not replace the case.